Monday, April 27, 2009

Real Aussie Camping in the Blue Mountains!



Hi All!

On Saturday it was Anzac Day here in Australia. It is sort of like Memorial Day in the US and the soldiers are remembered. We started the day off early with Mimosas and then a couple of my local friends picked me up and we drove the 2 and a bit hours to the Blue Mountains for a 21st birthday party. Instead of the usual "rent out a bar and invite all your friends", Stu decided to invite all his friends to his grandparents farm and have everyone camp out for the night.

The drive up there was just beautiful, stunning views and mountains all around. I am heading back to the Blue Mountains next weekend with my Outdoor Learning class so I will take pictures then, didn't manage to take any this weekend! But it was stunning and the clearest sky you have ever seen. After passing many "kangaroo crossing and wombat crossing" signs, I knew we were out of the city and into the bush! I didn't run into any wild Aussie animals this weekend, but my teacher assured me when we go with our class we will see lots of wild Kangaroos and Aussie wildlife, which I am very excited for!

We got there around 4ish and put up the tents (yes I learned how to pitch a tent I was VERY proud of myself!) We had sleeping bags and mattress pads so it ended up being quite comfy, despite the intense winds outside that I thought were going to pick up and throw the tent a mile away! After the tents were put up we all started having some of the punch and there were a bunch of parents serving some nibbles like homemade sausage rolls which were unbelievable, so good! All the parents got a kick out of me, and kept telling me how lucky I was to experience a "real aussie camping experience" and I have to say it was so cool. The farm was huge and beautiful. When the sun went down there were two mini bonfires we all crowded around for warmth (it was cold, thank god for Uggs!!) and we sat on hay bushels, and ate dinner. Then came the speeches, it is so lovely here 21st birthdays are a huge deal and the parents and friends all give speeches, tell funny and embarrassing stories, but its a really nice tradition. 

Then we all started drinking and dancing in a shed on the property, and then the two massive bonfires were lit. They were so huge, I can't even explain, but we were certainly not cold after that! The sky was so clear I thought I could see every star in the atmosphere! I got to see the Southern Cross which was beautiful and some other constellations, I couldn't stop looking up!! Really breathtaking

In the morning, we all got up and the parents made breakfast, and all night all the parents kept telling me was have you seen Trixie yet, and I didn't know what they were talking about. Well in the morning I found out! Trixie is their pet sheep, which goes in the house, and just wonders around and comes when it is called! It was so cute, and was standing next to me as I ate my bacon and eggs! I thought it was hysterical! The picture at the top is Trixie!!

Everyone was so nice and welcoming and it was such a great Australian experience. I am excited to go camping again with my class next weekend, but we are staying in cabins so its cheating a bit, but we are going to do 3 hikes which should be so awesome! I will take lots of pictures so you can all see, didn't get a chance to take pictures this weekend, but will make up for it as I will be going back!

It is certainly getting colder, so strange that as May creeps upon us here in Sydney the temperature is dropping, and it is turning into winter not summer! But it is nice to bundle up a little bit, and it is Fall (sorry I should say Autumn) here and around 60-65 during the day. I guess I will just have to go shopping for some winter clothes to stay warm (just kidding Dad! sorta...)

I will update after my weekend in the Blue Mountains with my class with pictures and more stories!!

Love, Nic xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment